Wednesday, October 17, 2012

October 15th: A Day of Remembrance

In October of 1988, President Ronald Reagan proclaimed October as National Pregnancy and Infant Loss Awareness Month. He said, "When a child loses his parent, they are called an orphan. When a spouse loses her or his partner, they are called a widow or widower. When parents lose their child, there isn't a words to describe them. This month recognizes the loss so many parents experience across the United States and the world. It is also meant to inform and provide resources for parents who have lost children due to miscarriage, ectopic pregnancy, molar pregnancy, stillbirths, birth defects, SIDS, and other causes."  

Although the whole month is dedicated to this awareness, October 15th was Pregnancy and Infant Loss Remembrance Day. I think it's safe to say that most individuals that have suffered any type of miscarriage/infant loss would confidently admit that they don't just remember their baby/babies on one particular day throughout the year. I know my daughter is on my mind multiple times throughout each and every day. We honor the losses and survivors of breast cancer the by wearing pink ribbons, right?  Why should it be any different for parents and other individuals to honor pregnancy and infant losses? Too many families grieve in silence and never share or come to terms with their loss. I truly believe this day is to to let others know you are not alone. 


Throughout the week, I spammed my Facebook account by sharing information about the day of remembrance and the Wave of Light in hopes others would participate, whether or not they have suffered a loss.  I'm pretty confident that I've been unchecked in the "show in feed" from plenty of people's pages since all I post are images of Grace, my family, blog updates, and references to my faith in Jesus Christ.  I'm okay that in all honestly.  It bring a smile to my face, however, to see how many ladies are there by my side, "liking" my photos and encouraging me through their sweet messages. I am blessed to have them in my life!


Once 7:00pm rolled around for the Wave of Light, I received several picture messages from loved ones showing me their candles burning.  I lit my candle at 7:00pm and had it burning for the whole hour until 7:00pm hit within another time zone...hence the wave of light. =)  I most definitely failed to mention that to several people. Oops!  Below are some of the images that I received as family and friends remembered our sweet Grace, their own losses, and other babies that have gone before us.  I felt so blessed to have these images as a reminder that little lives, no matter if they come out of the womb or not, make a difference in the lives of other individuals.  How fitting that October is also Respecting Life month as well. =)





There was some sort of healing that occurred the moment I lit my candles that evening.  My living room was pitch black and I had set several tea lights in my container to represent the passing of different babies.  One by one, I turned the switch on my lighter and watched the flame hit each individual wick.  The more I lighted, the more the light lit up the room.  I was in awe how several tiny little candles could give off so much light. 

Darkness is the absence of light. As I took a step back, I realized that there have been times throughout my journey where I felt like I was surrounded by total darkness. I asked God countless times, "Why me...why us?" The more I questioned, the darker and more upset I became at life's events.  I began to dive deeper and deeper in the Word to draw near to the One I knew could get me out of my darkness.  I began memorizing passages and repeated them over and over in my head throughout the day.  When I felt the weight of the world crashing down, I had these verses that would carry me through my rough times.  The more I clung to the One that would lift me high above any circumstance, I truly began to see the light that took me out of my darkness. He is the true light that gives light to every man. 


That night I began to wrap my mind around the fact that this world is a dark place filled with devil lurking around us.  It truly saddens me that this world even has to have a month to remember pregnancy and infant loss.  However, the truth of the matter is that we have to be those lights for our Creator.  He may light up your life because you have a relationship with Him, but there are plenty of children, teens, and adults that do not know our Lord as we may.   


So on October 15th, I recommitted myself to being a light for Him so that others may see Him the way I do...even when I am experiencing dark times.  As I think back to one of my favorite songs as a child, I remember, "This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine... Let it shine, Let it shine, Let it shine...."  Oh do I wish I would have heard Grace's sweet little voice sing that tune. Even as children, we were asked to let His light shine by sharing the gospel.  And even as adults, we are called to be the light of world so others may here the Good News of Jesus Christ.  We have to let that light shine so that others will be saved and given the gift of salvation!


Know that I'm praying for you if you are currently going through darkness and are struggling to find the light.  I pray that He may wrap His loving arms around you and that you may feel His warm and tight embrace.  We serve a mighty God that will not leave nor forsake us and I know He has never left me on my journey. He won't leave you either.  When I feel like there is no one else to turn to, there He stands...with his arms wide open. Run to Him, dear child! 


Will you join me in letting your light shine for Christ?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...