Sunday, May 5, 2013

18 Days of Grace: Grace's Cousins

My nieces and nephews mean the world to me.  It still amazes me how much joy they bring my soul every time I see them.  When my brother, Matt, called me Wednesday to watch his two kids this week, a huge smile popped onto my face.  It isn't often that Paul and I get Emily and Owen to ourselves, so I jump at the opportunity when given the chance.

My brother's family had to attend a birthday party for his niece on his in-laws side of the family.  They didn't get home until 8:30, so unfortunately, we didn't get much time to spend out with Owen.  In fact, in a matter of ten minutes after his mama and daddy left, he passed out on the floor.  Paul carried him upstairs and I tucked him into his big boy bed.  I'm not sure where the last two years have gone, but it's been such a blessing to watch him grow and develop into a loving little boy. When I look at Owen, hold him in my arms, or kiss his sweet lips, I think about what a blessing and good gift he is.  He steals my heart every time he says, "Jeshie" or when you give him a kiss, he makes the muahh sound. He even says Grace's name just like mine. It's adorable! Ugh, I love him to pieces. Ladies, watch out.  He''s going to be a heart throb.

Owen is their rainbow baby.  What that means is he is their child born after a loss.  Unfortunately, it wasn't just one loss that my brother and sister-in-law suffered through.  At the time I didn't understand the pain they...well, mostly what she was going through.  In fact, I said all the wrong things to her at time and didn't know how to be there for her.  I'm just so thankful God entrusted them with another child, even though I know they haven't forgotten about their babies awaiting their arrival in heaven.

Emily wanted her nails painted and was determined to have me paint them.  She went ahead set up her little nail salon in the living room.  She had a manicure and pedicure station, an instruction center, and a payment booth.  After I pained her nails, she wanted to paint mine.  She took me through her salon, explained all the prices, and gave me time to process what I really wanted done.

While I was waiting, she enticed her uncle into getting a mani and pedi himself.   My mouth literally hung open when he explained what colors he wanted  on his fingers.  Paul typically lets me play with the kids and doesn't interact a whole lot with them late at night.  He held his hand out and Emily's face lit up. She was more than shocked herself. She quickly grabbed the polish and began to work her magic.  She made us belly laugh with the amount of polish she used and how she didn't exactly paint only his nail. I don't think I've laughed that hard in a long time.


It was a complete blast to share that alone time with her.  I even enjoyed that I got to snuggle with her while putting her to bed. While we laid together, she explained that she wanted to name her daughter Grace so that she can always remember her cousin in heaven.  She did make sure to tell me though that her middle name would not be Annmarie because she didn't like that name very much (ha ha ha). Her bluntness always cracks me up.   I've always appreciated the fact that she's had such a connection with Grace since she was in my belly.  I truly believe God is using her to help me in my grieving and I'm so grateful for that. She always brings a smile to our faces and fills our hearts with pure joy.  Just as Owen, she is growing up way to fast and is wise beyond her age. I can't wait to see her continue to grow into a mama herself someday. It was wonderful to remember Grace today as we watched Emily and Owen.  We are so thankful for their family and the support they have blessed us with through our journey!

 

1 comment:

  1. Now THIS made ME belly laugh!! You have always been such a wonderful aunt and uncle to our kids--I still remember the first time I handed Em over to Paul and he froze because he had never really held, or was comfortable holding, a little baby!! You two are the most wonderful parents Gracie could have been given--she's so blessed! Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...