Thursday, November 29, 2012

Roots of Gratitude

It seems so weird that Thanksgiving has come and gone in what seems like blink of an eye.  I still haven't been feeling up to par and spent most of my Thanksgiving in bed sleeping.  The other half was spent at Paul's grandparent's house and my parents in the evening.  Since I slept until almost 2:30 that day, I was wide awake in the evening (which is VERY unlike me).  After looking through the Black Friday ads, I convinced Paul to go out with me. It didn't take much convincing.  He is a night owl and loves when I'm up for doing something out of the norm. There wasn't anything we truly needed or wanted, but I wanted to experience what this whole shopping craze was like.  We headed to the mall to look at some tools for Paul and wound up walking out of Sears ten minutes later because he didn't like what he saw on sale.  I had been toying around with the idea of picking up sewing because Kara (a dear friend) sews her little heart.  She made me the most beautiful Christmas pillow last year and made Grace's beautiful quilt.  I thought it would be something fun to bond over and to be able to create one of a kind gifts for people.  There's something about a handcrafted gift that makes my heart skip a beat.  When Kara blesses me with her gifts and thoughtfulness is melts my heart because I know she took time to work on something for me and she has impeccable taste.  My hope is to pass on what she has blessed me with, so that I may too make others feel the same way.  Walmart had a Singer sewing machine on sale and since I don't know ANYTHING about sewing, I thought I'd go take a peak at it.  Paul and I made our way to the closest Walmart around midnight and our mouths hung open as we pulled into the parking lot.  As found a spot and walked into the store, I continued to stand in awe.  The lines for the check- out weaved their way throughout the entire store.  Carts were packed full and people were dashing around the store like crazy.  I was utterly amazed.  Needless to say we did not stay there for long and made our way home empty handed, but happy to have spent time laughing and being in each others presence. I love my hubby!

The whole concept of Black Friday after Thanksgiving really got me thinking.  I find it funny that one day is dedicated to recognizing our gratitude for our blessings and then hours later we (including myself) are out trying get the best deals on whatever we want or may need...sometimes forgetting what we were just thankful for.

As I laid in bed that evening, I began praying and asking God to help me be more aware of the blessings bestowed on me and to thank him daily for those blessings no matter what the circumstances may be.  Looking back over the course of this year, I have so much to be thankful for even though our little girl couldn't be with us. I am most thankful my renewed faith and relationship I have with the One that gave me life.  I believe I had to walk through this valley in order to realize that my relationship with God wasn't anywhere it should be.  I was broken and my heart was shattered when we heard the news of her diagnosis.  I know some people would have turned their back on God over such a difficult situation, but the circumstance allowed me to call out to Him even more.  He made me realize that He was the only one going to carry me through my trail and show me what it means to submit and surrender. He constantly reminded me that He would not forsake me.

I'm so thankful for being chosen to carry such an unbelievably unique and precious little girl. I know our story is no where near the story of Mary in the Bible, as she was chosen by God to give birth to his Son, Jesus, but I'd like to look at one similarity.  God hand selected her to be the mother of our Lord and Savior.  What an unbelievable gift! I felt very much like Mary because He selected ME to be the mother to Grace...and my dear friend Lisa always reminded me of that. I felt so blessed that He entrusted me with a life so fragile and knew that I would be equipped to be her mama.

I'm thankful for the understanding that God has a plan for me and that I need to be still and know that He is in full control...in control over the good and not so good in my life; always remembering that the not so good happenings can bring divine goodness, grace, and mercy into sharper focus.  Lisa Harper states her a recent blog post for Women of Faith, "I’m learning that the roots of gratitude grow deepest in the sober soil of remembering how hopeless my life is without God." This was the year that taught me how much I need Him in my daily life...not just when times are rough, but all the days of my life.  Oh thank you, Lord, for saving a wretch like me! Thank you for being my rock to which I always cling!  



Oh, God, when I have food
help me to remember the hungry;
When I have work, help me
to remember the jobless;
When I have a warm home,
help me to remember the homeless;
When I am without pain,
help me to remember those who suffer;
And remembering, help me
to destroy my complacency
and bestir my compassion.
Make me concerned enough
to help, by word and deed,
those who cry out
for what we take for granted.

~ Samuel. F. Pugh

"For I was hungry and you gave Me food, I was thirsty and you gave Me drink. I was a stranger and you welcomed Me..." - Matthew 25:35

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...