Thursday, August 16, 2012

Not Just A Teacher

Some days I wonder if I made the right decision by taking on an English as a Second Language teaching position.  I loved having my own classroom and the freedom/responsibility that came with it.  I also loved the bonds that grew from having my own group of kiddos to care for, love, and educate. 

Every year when school supplies started showing up in stores, a feeling of excitement overcame me.  I was that kid growing up that LOVED shopping for school supplies. It literally made me giddy, ask my mom. I'd sit for hours on the floor in our living room writing my name on everything and would rearrange my pencil box ten thousand times so everything was in its perfect place. That same excitement carried over when I became a teacher.  I spent hours at the teacher store buying new boarders, inspirational posters, teaching materials and games to support my curriculum.  Although Paul never liked seeing what I spent, it brought me so much joy knowing a new year was ahead of me. 

When last school year ended, I had a very difficult time taking down my word wall and all my other materials I had posted around the room.  I knew that room 221 would no longer be my room ever again.  Gosh, sometimes I hate that I'm so sentimental! I learned a lot about myself over the years in that room - not only as a teacher, but as a person.  Part of me feels like I'm leaving that all behind.

At the beginning of each year I always introduced myself to my kiddos (mind you I taught 7th grade English Language Arts). I tried to do this in a comical way by showing pictures and embarrassing myself.  I'd talk about my husband and get really sappy (which they seemed to enjoy) and show pictures/tell stories of my other family members.  One thing I always ask my students to do every year is guess how many children I have.  I always seem to receive an outrageous guess of twenty, or the very common response, "Mrs. Morris, you look like you're eighteen.  How could you possibly have children?"  I always laugh and thank them for the nice compliment. I go on to tell that that I have sixty-three (or how ever many students I have that year) children.  The looks on their faces are priceless.  I go on to explain to them that even though I don't have any children (prior to Grace) to take care and love at home, they have become my very own.  I talk to them about how much time we will spend together and how we will become one big family.  I make a promise to them that I will treat them and care for them like a mother would.  I tell them that I will be there to listen, to talk, to help, or whatever they may need throughout the year and the years to come.

As a teacher, I never know what sticks with my students or what has made an impact on their lives. I was reminded today that students truly listen and take notice to the words that come from my mouth.  A former student of mine was asked to participate in a student panel for our Hmong Culture professional development.  One of the questions that was asked to the panel was something along the lines of what teacher has made an impact on your life.  Surprisingly, this student said my name and gave a beautiful explanation as to why.  She commented on how I was more than a teacher to her class, I was a mother.  I listened to what they had to say and I was there for them when they needed someone.  She also stated how she remembered how I told her class (because they were complaining about my expectations for an assignment) that the teachers that push them the hardest will end up being their favorite teachers in the end.  At the time she didn't agree with that statement, but now, she couldn't agree more and I pushed her to always do her best.

She made my heart melt and made me think about the impact that teachers can make in a child's life.  When she said I'm like their mother, it hit me in such a profound way.  Hearing the word "mother" takes on a whole new meaning since I've had Grace.  I won't ever get the opportunity to nurture and care for her here.  I won't get to listen how her day went, hear what she learned at school, or provide her with wisdom and knowledge to help her overcome a trial.  But that doesn't mean I'm any less of a mother.  I carried her for those wonderful nine months that her heart beat, cared for her in my womb, and loved her (and still am loving her) every single minute of her existence.  My love for her runs deep and I long for the day that I get to hear her say, "Mama." 

This school year, in honor of my Gracie, I'm going to love on those kiddos like I've never loved before. I will be more than a teacher.  I will have an open heart and ears to show them that they are cared for.  And with that love will come high expectations.  I will push them harder than I've ever pushed because their futures matter.  I don't need to have my own room to show my middle school students that I love them... like a mother.

And guess what....?

I have 211 children to be a teacher and mother to this year!

I can only imagine the look on their faces telling them I have that amount of children! =)


Due to legal issues, I cannot post pictures of my kiddos.  So you're stuck with me.  Here is a picture at our Hmong New Year in their traditional clothing. 



Visit http://www.myhapa.org/ to view my beautiful Hmong children! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...