Thursday, August 2, 2012

Living Out Your Dash

Tuesday was my Auntie's birthday.  When we gathered as a family this weekend, she seemed not so thrilled to be turning another year older.  Isn't that always the case?  I know I am just a young pup, turning 28 this year, but I had a REALLY hard time turning 26. I can sympathize to some degree.  Maybe it was because "my plan" (see:  Not in Control: Riding in the Passenger's Seat ) wasn't fully panning out the way I had hoped or the realization that 30 is right around the corner. Regardless, I know that turning another year older for most people means, more wrinkles, more this, and more that... I get all that "stuff" and don't want to negate that with what I'm about to write about.  My view on getting older has changed a bit since a sermon we had about living out your dash and giving birth to the most beautiful little girl who will never get to turn another year older here on Earth. That still won't stop me from celebrating her Heavenly birthdays though!  

During the sermon we had about two years ago, Pastor Terry began teaching us about what your dash meant.  Let's just say hypothetically that I pass away as I'm writing this.  On my tombstone (that I won't be having in real life) would read 12/18/1984 - (dash) 08/02/2012.  The dash refers to the years you have lived out your life.  Are you following?  I hope so... Have you ever thought deeply about what others may say about you and your life lived if they were going to give a eulogy at your funeral?  What do you want to be remember for and how do you want others to remember you when you pass on?  Pastor Terry showed us a poem written by Linda Ellis called "The Dash."  I'm not sure if this was the exact clip shown, but I remember sitting in my seat with tears pouring down my face...big reality check!  

As I was watching this in church, I realized that I was living a pretty me centered life.  My dash had really only consisted of meeting the goals that I had set for myself.  I thought, Is that really how I want to be remembered? Me, me, me, me?  I was reminded that our time spent here living out our dash  is noticed by others as "how" we live out those years.  Are we slow to anger, non judgmental, do we have servant hearts, do we treat others how we would want to be treated, are we quick to forgive, do we love with our whole heart and expect nothing in return...in other words, are we living out our lives as Jesus Christ would?

When I think about how I'm living my life, I always think of that song by the Sidewalk Prophets called Live Like That.  There is a lyric in that song that says, "When they see me, do they see You?" When I was pregnant with Grace, I wrote that on an index card and taped it to my laptop at school.  Every time I walked back to my desk, I always glanced at that index card as a helpful reminder.  It helped me to be constantly aware of my actions and the words I used in my classroom and to those around me. It allowed me to reflect on how I am living out my life on a daily basis.  I wanted others to see that I was striving to live like Him and that my actions and words reflected that. 

Linda Ellis stated in her poem, "You never know how much time you have."  She completely nailed that on the head. We don't know how much time we have...scary isn't it?  All of our days are numbered.  Grace's short life was numbered by hours, not days or years like you and I have been blessed with.  Although Grace beat us all to the BEST place in this universe, and I envy her for that, we should be thankful for each day that passes because it is one more day to serve someone in need, to smile, to laugh, to love...to live like Him. 

When another year comes your way, remember to slow down and appreciate the days that may lie ahead of you.  And while you are doing that, reflect on how you can better live out your dash so that others remember you the way that God intended. Live like Him!

So now I am giving you a new commandment: Love each other. Just as I have loved you, you should love each other.   John 13:34

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...