Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Never a Dull Moment

I don't think I've stopped moving since Saturday, well maybe just to sleep and to write now.  I guess that's a good thing because I'm actually getting things accomplished this summer.  I'm thankful I did not teach summer school because I would have went back to school feeling stressed out and that doesn't make for a good start.

What I didn't anticipate was having to work on our single family rental property this summer.  Our tenants moved out on Saturday and entering the house on Sunday was a complete shocker.  Personal items were left behind everywhere (bed, TV, dressers, treadmill etc), food still in the cabinets and on the floor, carpeting ruined with stains galore, hardwood floors scratched, and nothing had been cleaned.  After one of our tenants gave us permission to toss the belongings, we came across one of children's baby books.  It had his footprints, lock of hair, and memories of him growing up.  My heart sunk deep in my chest. How could someone just want to toss their stuff away before going through it?  Not to mention, something as sentimental as that!  I told Paul and my parents that I could not throw it away.  I said to Paul that I'd contact her and arrange for her to pick it up.  It was the right thing to do, even though they left us with this mess of a place.   

Do you ever feel like God guides you to the right place in the Bible because He knows your plans for the day? This is one instance where He was all over our situation.  Before Paul and I went over to our rental house on Sunday, I woke up early (we go to church on Saturday) to spend some time alone with God and to be in the Word.  Still reading in the book of Philippians, I came across Paul stating that we need to do everything without complaining or arguing and that our attitudes should be the same as that of Jesus Christ (2: 5 & 14).    Often times it's really easy to get swallowed up in negativity when something doesn't go the way you anticipated. I find that when I begin to complain it turns into an argument, either with myself internally or with someone else. 

Sunday was different.  I felt God's presence with us the entire day.  Paul and I sat on the porch stoop as we waited for people to come view the house.  Yes, I know.  I was utterly embarrassed to show them a house in total disrepair.   He and I began talking about what all needs to be repaired and I could sense that some complaining was coming.  So, I stopped the conversation and I shared with him what I read in the morning.

In the midst of having a house that is a money pit, I felt really blessed with all that He has provided us and wanted our attitudes to remain positive in light of what needed to be fixed. I was reminded that life isn't always going to go the way we have planned and that's because we aren't in control.  When things go south, we need to remember that our attitudes need to reflect that of Christ.  What a great example to live by!

After having Grace, I find that there really isn't anything worth complaining about. I don't even complain that she isn't here with me, even though I miss her terribly.  I attribute that to my Creator, because I know I'd be a BIG complainer if it wasn't for Him!

I'm so thankful that we have the Bible to help guide our thoughts and actions. Even though I fall short of how Christ would act or speak on a daily basis, He is what I strive to be like.  I want to live like Him and I pray for that daily.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...