Sunday, June 24, 2012

Dry Bones

Today our sermon entitled Valley of Dry Bones was riveting!  We focused on the passage from Ezekiel 37: 1-14. I am no preacher by any means, and I don't intend to be, so perhaps this is a good time for you to take our your Bible and read the scripture before I show you this video that Pastor Bryan played in church.  Got it?  Now read, I'll give you some time..... 


Okay here is the video for you visual learners...Seriously, watch it! 



In verse 11 it says, "Then he said to me: Son of man, these bones are the people of Israel.  They say, 'Our bones are dried up and our hope is gone; we are cut off."  The scripture goes on to say how his people will know he is Lord because he will open our graves, bring us up from them, and will put his Spirit in us and we will live.

I emphasized 'hope is gone' in the passage because often times we feel like our hope is gone and that God couldn't be further from us when we are faced with something difficult in our lives.  As Pastor Bryan stated today, "The bottom line is, God does his best work when our hope runs dry."  Look at this passage from Ezekiel alone - life came from dry bones.

Think about a time in your life where you have hit rock bottom and thought you couldn't go on - your hope ran dry. God is always present to supply a need we may have, to fix what's broken, or fill what's empty in order to restore us.

I couldn't help but think of my journey with Grace all throughout this message.  Was God trying to restore my dead bones through our situation? There were many times that I felt so broken and alone in my suffering; I felt my hope had run dry.  No one understood truly how much hurt I was experiencing while carrying her.  Some people tried to equate it to a miscarriage, and I got that they were trying to understand my pain, but I went through one myself, and this didn't even compare.  The only one I could turn to in my time of need was God, the only one that would listen for hours and hours of sobbing was Him, the only one that I could express my anger and frustration to was Him...because He got it and He could take it.  We sure serve a BIG and Mighty God!  Throughout this journey, He helped fix what was broken inside of me.  He turned my mourning into dancing because I know I will get to see my Gracie again through the gift of salvation.  He also provided me with such a different view on life - one that wants to profess the greatness of the gospel.  Because my dear readers, our only hope should be in Him and Him alone.  He is the one that will open our graves and bring us up from them.  He is the only one that will put His Spirit in us and we will live. 

"God can bring dead things back to life!"  Thanks, Pastor Bryan, for reminding me of that! 

Now ask yourself...what is dead in my life that I would like God to restore?  Where has my hope run dry?  


My Hope Is In You: Aaron Shust



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...