Saturday, June 2, 2012

The Vine

Much of today was spent doing yard work at our rental property. Both my parents graciously helped Paul and I dig up weeds, prune and cut down bushes, and build a retaining wall for two flower beds.  As I was working today my mind seemed to be all over the place.  I was thinking about how I miss my work friends and students, all the phone calls I have to make to get Grace on my insurance (odd, right?) and the sermon from last Saturday at church.  Perhaps, since we were doing yard work my mind seemed to fixate more on the sermon  than anything.

Last week, Pastor Terry introduced our Grow Up series and the sermon was entitled "Eliminate."  The scripture we focused on was:

 “I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful. You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you. Remain in me, as I also remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me."   (John 15:1-4)

After the sermon, I was in awe of how much this passage spoke to me.  I thought maybe Paul called Pastor Terry and told him to preach on this because of what was going on with Grace...I'm kidding.  Jesus is the true vine and the Father cuts off every branch that bears no fruit and prunes the branches that do bare fruit to make them more fruitful.  Isn't this similar to what we do when we are working in the yard so that our vegetable plants or bushes become more plentiful?

When I sat in church I thought to myself, my, God, you are sure cutting and pruning away at me.  I truly think we all go through things in life for a reason. We go through many of those things so that we are drawn closer to Him.  And I truly believe I went through this journey with Grace to be drawn closer to Him. 

Let me be transparent here...I have been a believer in Jesus Christ for some time now...In my past and prior to her diagnosis, I felt like I was just going through the motions of being a Christian.  I went to church, prayed, and read the Bible.  Good enough, right?  Not so much. When we found out about Grace I went through a very dark time, but never once did my faith waver.  In fact, I called out to Christ more than I ever have.  Literally, on my knees, I poured out my heart and wept to Him.  Subsequently, I've also never felt so called to share my faith with others and to show them what He is doing through my trial.  I wanted to people to know that I was to remain in Him even through my darkest time. Was this part of the pruning process so that I may bring glory to Him?

When thinking about pruning, one may ponder about what he/she is eliminating from the vine or bush. When I reflect back prior to becoming pregnant, all I could help but think about was having a baby.  I've longed to be a mommy and I almost became somewhat obsessed with the idea of it.  I often felt like becoming pregnant was my top priority in life, not my relationship with Jesus Christ.  After hearing her diagnosis, I was willing to let God eliminate anything in my life to better serve Him.  I wasn't so concerned with my priorities and what I wanted anymore. I was chosen to carry this blessing and needed to put myself last. He needed to be my number ONE! 

What is the ultimate vine dresser pruning you for? What are you willing to let God eliminate to have a more fruitful life?  Remember, our Father wants us to be passionate about a more fruitful life in His Son!

 Gosh, I sure love the sermons at our church!    


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...