Sunday, June 3, 2012

"When It Rains, It Pours"

"I wish I could just start this day over," my nephew mumbles to his mommy in the backseat of my car.

Today my husband received a call that no son or daughter would ever want to hear... his father was killed in a motorcycle accident.  His father drove over to his daughter's house to pick up his grandson for a ride on the bike for his birthday. The two of them pulled over on the side of the road for another biker to ensure everything was okay.  The man said everything was fine and Paul's dad continued on.  According to the police report, he lost control of his bike and hit a mailbox several miles down the road.  The gentleman that they previously passed was the first one to the scene and helped our nephew over to the other side of the street so he wouldn't see his grandpa.  Our nephew was taken to the local hospital to run scans on his brain and then was transported to Children's Hospital in Madison for more testing.

Prior to picking up our nephew, we had to tell Paul's grandma that her son has just passed away.  Talk about having a lump in my throat.  I never imagined I'd have to be doing this now, at my age.  And the reality is, we never know when God is going to call any of us home.  We need to be ready.  Our hearts and our minds need to be right with the Lord ALL the time because we never know when our time is up. 

The Chaplin from the hospital that Paul's father was transported to came along to inform his grandma of the news.  I sat in an old wooden chair across from his grandma and prayed.  And the more I prayed, the more tears came pouring from my face.  I looked at my husband and he understood..or at least I think he did.  No mama or daddy ever wants to hear that their baby has gone before them.  Tears and shock came from his grandma's face and I got it.   I hate that I get it.  No matter if we hold our baby in our arms for a second, a minute, hour, or 51 years, the pain hurts.

I find reassurance in knowing that our Father understands our hurt and pain.  He cares for us and loves us to no end!  Please keep Paul and I and his family in your prayers as we walk through another loss in our family. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...